Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Labor and Delivery...The Whole Story

This past Monday, August 6th, 2012, I was officially induced for labor.  We had to be at Gateway Hospital at 5 AM for registration.  First, registration was quick and easy.  And, the nicest girl was there to greet us bright and early.  After registration, we went up to the third floor and were helped by several nice nurses.  They got us to our room immediately and went over a few procedures for the day.  After some quick blood work and once I was in my bed, I was officially induced (the pitocin drip was started) at 6:15 AM.  I was surprised and happy with how well the morning had began.  I truly had some of the nicest people helping me.  Labor and Delivery was packed that morning, but I still received great care.  Kyle and I spent time watching TV and just talking.  It was definitely a relaxing time.  Around 8 AM, Dr. Jennie Beth Johnston came in to break my water.  This was a whole new experience since with Kathryn I had no fluid.  It was not painful, but it was just awkward.  I felt like I was using the bathroom on myself and I couldn't make it stop.  I had quite a bit of fluid because it seemed like all day the water came out.  My mom and sister came in that morning as well.  We all spent the morning talking and watching the Summer Olympics.  Every 30 minutes to an hour, my pitocin drip was increased by 2.  Around noon, I began having pretty hard contractions, so I asked for my epidural.  This was a different experience as well.  With Kathryn, the epidural felt cool...like a cold trickle of water going down my back.  This time, it was more of a dull, hot pain.  Not anything super painful, but very different than my first epidural.  During this process, I had to sit on the edge of the bed which caused a flood of water to come out.  I was quite embarrassed.  It was running down my legs and feet into the floor.  All I could do was laugh which made the water come out even more.  Again, I could do nothing to make the water stop coming out.  It was just insane.  None the less, after my epidural, I felt much better.  I could tell when I was having contractions (felt a tightening on the right side of my stomach), but it did not hurt.  It had been a slow afternoon as far as progressions.  When I came to the hospital, I was already dilated at 2 cm and 50% effaced.  When I was checked at 4 PM, I was only at 5 cm and about 75% effaced.  Needless to say, I was frustrated.  We had been at the hospital for almost 12 hours, and I had only progressed about 3 cm and 25%.  I began to feel sick to my stomach.   Seriously, I thought I was going to vomit, so I had Kyle find me a bucket so I didn't get sick in the floor.  At this time, the nurse came in and gave me Zofran to help.  Then Jennie Beth came in and said she would be back shortly but maybe my sickness was caused by some "changes" occurring.  I was pretty sure I felt sick because I was frustrated that I was only at 5 cm.  Around 5 PM a nurse came in to check me.  She quickly announced I was complete and ready to begin pushing.  However, Jennie Beth had stepped out to take her daughter Cammie to her parents (which Jennie Beth's parents live two doors down from my in laws).  The nurse said she was told to not do anything with me until she (meaning Jennie Beth) returned.  At this point I was so excited and surprised at how fast things had progressed in an hour.  I think it helped that my pitocin drip was cranked up to 22.  I was told that most of the time they stopped it at 20 unless otherwise ordered by the doctor.  Jennie Beth came in around 5:10.  At 5:12, Kyle called his parents to let them know I was about to start pushing.  And, at 5:23 baby Kaden was born.  It was a quick 10 minutes!!!  I literally pushed for less than 10 minutes (and I had lots of encouraging from my sister and the nurses on my pushing).  I pushed through three contractions, and he was born.  I was shocked it was so fast since he was much bigger than Kathryn (with Kathryn I pushed for about 20 minutes).  I expected to labor for much longer.  However, I was so glad that it was a quick process.  Since he came through so quickly, I had some tearing, and Kaden had some bruising on his face and right hand.  Other than that, all was perfect!  Everyone was so excited about the news of a baby boy.  I think Kyle had a hard time processing all his emotions, as his reaction was truly the sweetest.  His eyes filled with tears and his voice of excitement  made me cry.  The moment was priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment